Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Ceremony of the Masks

I feel grateful to the people who have helped me heal.
I want you to know that I love you,
and I thank you for what you have done for me.


 I have some amazing friends at my local VET CENTER
I love Bill who mans the front desk and asks me if I want a water or candy or any other kind of treat  :)
He's even brought me grapefruit and my favorite
(love you bill)
Loraine and Paula have helped me along my journey, not only with PTSD,
but with other things as well.

They believe in me,
They love me,
They cry with me,

Heck,
They even sent me care packages when I was in the hospital at the Women's Trauma Recovery Program in Menlo Park California
Not only did they send care packages, but they included
Which are one of my favorite sweets.


I used to wear a smile plastered to my face.
No matter what was going on in life,
I could stop,
Put a sparkle in my eyes,
and a smile on my face,

Very few people could see through my mask.
I wore it well,
and I wore it for many years.

It covered the pain that I felt on the inside.


It would stop the awkward moments when people would ask
"How are you doing today"
and no matter what,
I could smile and say
"Fine"
or
"great"
or
"Fabulous"

 I learned to lie through my smile.
It was easier to smile, than it was to explain how bad I was suffering.

 So I made some masks...
....and I don't need them anymore.
They have gone to be with someone that I love dearly.

She will keep them safe, and she will treasure them.

 Because I don't need my masks anymore,

The smile I wear on my face is for REAL
I don't need them any more, because on the inside, I'm OK with me!
I love me!
I have found happiness!

It's been learning how to be OK with Me!

And a Great big Thank You to Mr. Math, who built me a logical smile on the day I gave my masks away.
You are awesome Chris!

1 comment: