Friday, February 22, 2013

Moments I Will Miss

When I started looking for a place to live last summer, I never thought I would be lucky to find something so close to my Grandmother.
She is like the glue that holds the family together.  
She is kind, refined, special, charitable, and always has something to feed you if you show up.
She is the epitome of unconditional love. 
She and my mother made my childhood an adventure.
Moments with her were magical, filled with baked cookies, playing in the irrigation water, hiking up to her Grandfathers property in Big Cottonwood Canyon, summers at Bear Lake, Yellowstone, Jackson Wyoming, Cherry Hill, and winter visits to their RV park in Arizona, and Sunday dinners.
There were songs and stories of our pioneer ancestors who crossed the plains with faith in God in their hearts.
She is 86.
She was there for the birth of my second son.
My little "Bear" 
 When I was so lonely in AZ a year after my divorce she flew down to stay with me for a week. 

I was sad to think that they may not ever remember her.
Now I am thrilled that we live just one mile away from her.
We are so close that my children can walk to her house after school to get a cookie.  

I don't know how much longer we will have her, but I am blessed  to know that my children will know their maternal great grandmother.
Last night we spent the evening helping her crack walnuts.
After dinner she popped popcorn and the children watched Pinocchio on her living room floor.
She used to read story books to my little "Bug."

Now he reads them to her. 

I hope we get to keep her a long, long time.
She is loved.
She inspires the good in others.
"I love you Grandma!"

1 comment:

  1. It is so wonderful how you've written here about your Grandma! It brought tears to my eyes! I remember her very well and treasure those moments in my heart! I love her!

    ReplyDelete