Sunday, February 17, 2013

Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)

When I moved into my new home there were a few "treasures" left behind in the basement.
These treasures included a walker, crutches, a raised toilet seat, and the handrails you can attach to the back of a toilet.
Seeing as how I don't plan to be needing any of those things for at least another fifty years, I decided to ask around to see if anyone wanted them before donating them to the local thrift store.  
(My favorite is Savers because they give you a 20% off coupon if you give a donation.  These coupons have allowed me to purchase many fun things from the local stores. Books are my favorite.)

I contacted the Relief Society President from my local Ward to see if anybody from our local area might be in need of these items.  
The Bishops wife said that she would like to store them in the CERT Cache in case of an emergency.
After that she told me that she thought I would be an excellent person to become CERT certified.
As I looked around the ward and saw that a great majority the congregation is nearing the ending quarter of their lives. 
I thought that maybe in the event of a disaster they might need me.
After all, I have been to war. 
I have lived through many disasters.
...and I have many hours of emergency medical training and experience.
I know how to swing an ax, fill a sand bag, and organize people in to groups and teams.  

The only problem is that after getting out of the military I swore off any trauma medicine.
The events of the war completely ripped my heart from my chest and I haven't done anything in the medical profession since getting out of the army.

I agreed to this CERT training, because I knew it would force me to stretch just outside of my comfort zone.  

On Friday night I dropped my kids off with my parents for a sleepover party. When I got home I was feeling super anxious about the training and wanted to back out.  
....but I had given my word....
I said I would be there.
And come Hell, high water, or PTSD, I was going to go!
I called 1-877-WAR-VETS to talk to a fellow combat veteran for encouragement.
(He encouraged sleep)

With anxiety in my heart and fear of the unknown, I showed up for the training.  
After-all, if my 88 year old grandfather (who also happens to be a WWII Vet) is trained then I may as well pull up my boot straps and lend my skills to the community in the event of a disaster.

Was it uncomfortable?
Yes.
Did it trigger my memories?
Yes.
Did I want to go home and crawl in bed with my memories?
Yes.
Did I have nightmares the night after?
Yes.
...But the main question is WAS IT WORTH IT?
Yes.

Because I learned that I can do things that are hard for me.
Anxiety isn't going to kill me.  Neither are my dreams.
I actually made a friend.
And I remembered that this is what I know.  
I know how to act under stress.  I have lived disaster, and I have skills and perspective that others may not.
I may be a very valuable asset to my community.
...and best of all I still have caring in my heart for other people.
Tonight I went to my Grandparents house to show my Grandpa my CERT gear.
We proudly donned it and posed for a picture.

I hope my children learn by example to give of their time and their talents to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment