Sunday, September 11, 2011

Challenge Aspen Day's 3 & 4

So on Wednesday we woke up at the crack of dawn to drive to Utah where we would explore a portion of the Colorado River known as the West Water Canyon

Challenge Aspen partnered with Colorado Discover Ability and a group of different volunteers guided us down the river.

The first morning we paddled and paddled and went through a series of rapids.
(unfortunately I don't have pictures of the rapids, because my camera was safely tucked away in two Ziploc baggies.  
 
We camped on a secluded beach on the river.  The river guides made us a delicious dinner of Fajitas.
The stars were amazing that night. And the view of the river and the red rock was spectacular.
 
Day 4 started with an early morning coffee call followed by breakfast burritos and a group picture on the beach.
I tried to be of some assistance by helping to fill the inflatable kayaks known as duckies.
Secretly, I think I was more of the comic relief because I would jump into the air and try to force all of my body weight down to try to pump up the duckies. 
It sort of reminded me of this
I looked ridiculous, but I hope someone had a good laugh watching me. 
Then pose for a picture and....
we're off. 
My roomie and I paddled the kayak but in all reality,
I wasn't very good at it.
We would turn to the left and then to the right.  I never did seem to get into a good paddling pattern.
O' well, I guess I'll have to give it a try again sometime. 
I hopped out of the duckie and swam to a larger goat...err...boat (sorry, typo)
However, I wasn't extremely talented with the oars either.
Think I might need a little more practice.
Our trip ended with the beauty of a bald eagle flying overhead.
Who could ask for a more majestic ending?

No comments:

Post a Comment