Monday, September 28, 2009

Road 2 Recovery

Let the Biking Begin!

Friday is the Big day :)

I fly to California for my Big Ride

Check it out at


I will be spending the week of October 4th through the 10th biking the California coast with other wounded warriors. We will begin in San Francisco and end in Los Angeles. Can you believe it?The ride is long, and I am nervous and excited all at the same time.
When I was a teenager I watched a news clip about a husband and wife who rode their bikes across the United States. They packed everything they needed on their bikes and slept in fields. I don't remember much, but I remember thinking that it must be awesome to accomplish something like that.

I can't say that I have biked much since I was a kid, but this summer I spent almost 3 months in the Women's Trauma Recovery Program for PTSD in Menlo Park California.
Recreation and exercise was part of our program.
After a few weeks to get aclamatized I was cleared to ride the bikes with the Men's PTSD Program.
Someone, (I don't know who) had donated several top-quality road bikes.
I can't say as though I have ever spent much time hunched over on a bike like that. At first I found it wobbely and uncomfortable. As time went on I really began to love the biking.
Facilitators at the PTSD program have made it possible for me to participate in this ride with other military members and riders from all over.
Did I mention it's almost 500 miles?
Awesome Huh!
For those of you from my family, it's farther than biking to Las Vegas!

Super big thanks to all those who have supported me.

If If my muscles have not turned to Jello, I will try to post some pictures of my Ride to Recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment