Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lightning

....and thunder.

(Photo curteosy of wallpaperstock.net)

The other day someone asked me about how PTSD affectes my life.

If I were talking to them tonight I would let them know that sometimes it's hard to calm down and fall asleep at night.

Tonight it is stormy.  The sky is illumitated by brilliant flashes of light followed by the loud rumble of thunder.

And on nights like tonight it takes my mind and body back to the war zone.  Flashes of light and the thunder remind me of mortar attacks.  Mortar attacks remind me of how I felt when we were being attacked.  Being attacked reminds me of the patient that came in during attacks.  Those patients remind me of the suffering caused by war.  And the thought of war just makes me sad.

So it's almost 1 o'clock in the morning...and I need to go to sleep.  There are two prescious sons who need a well rested mother who has had peaceful dreams. 

Wish me luck.

Where is Belleruth Naparstek when I need her?

No comments:

Post a Comment