Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Pre-Show

So you remember those five p's I told you about???
Yeah,
So
it doesn't always account for human error.
And yes I did leave something at home
SOME THING VERY IMPORTANT!
my glasses....
I know, I know, how ridiculous is that?
anyone who know's me knows that I am a glasses gal. I never wear contacts.
(that is until 3 days ago)
So after riding in the Arizona sun I knew that I wanted to be able to wear sunglasses for my ride in California.
So.......
I found my old contacts from last may and put them in 3 days ago.
(you usually need up to a week or two to get used to wearing them all day)
WELL NOT THIS MOMMY!
No, I had to go and forget one of my most important things.
luckily I didn't forget my scriptures and toothbrush.
So my eyes are having a crash course into the break-in for contacts.
Atleast I will be able to wear sunglasses for the ride.
And a big thanks to this beautiful woman.
Nancy is a dear friend who is kind and compassionate.
We may have had our adventure getting to the hotel today, but she was wonderful even with all of the stress that came with a late train and back pain.
Nancy was my Visiting Teacher when I was in the hospital last summer in Menlo Park.
She and Mary Jo came to visit weekly and were always there with kind words, hugs, and support. I love them, and they mean a lot to me.
Thanks again Nancy,
I absolutly LOVE flannel sheets.
They are my favorite!
and I don't think anyone should live without them.....
especially in the winter.
So after arriving at the Hotel, I had my bike reassembled by one of the mechanics.
I didn't want to risk putting it together by myself. I wouldn't want something to be loose and have a wheel fall off.
Have any of you seen the movie MAVERIC with Mel Gibson?
I know Loo has.
I held the camera for a photo op while mechanic man tightened the nuts and bolts.

This is what they gave me to wear.
Pretty Schnazzy Huh!?
the shorts are called Bibs, and I originally thought they were pretty wierd, but I put them on today and they were awesome.
First of all they are men's shorts and they actually go down to my knee,
not like women's shorts that hang out about two to four inches down the leg.
It's much more comfortable to wear biker shorts that go down farther.
Because (atleast for me)
I do not want to have tight elastic on the part of my thigh that is the fattest.
Call me crazy, but I don't want my leggs to look like the've got a muffin top going on.
Click here if you want to know what a muffin top is.
Well I don't want that happening mid thigh.

Here is the famous bike that I will be riding.
I think it's beautiful.
Maybe when I get back to AZ I will paint it pink.

I painted my shoes pink
......
but....
it was with nail polish :)
hehe

And, Did you know that it is absolutly FREEZING here!
The group took a little tour around the industrial area today and I was cold cold cold!
I will definatly be cranking out the cold weather protection tomorrow.
The wind bites right through you.
I've never ridden in winds that were so strong.
It's a little bit intimidating.
I definatly don't want to crash.
Please pray for me.
I have two cute boys who still need their awesome mommy.
Oh yea, so back to the shoes.
I bought these sock type things that go OVER the shoe, and special toe covers.
Notice that they are also painted pink with the same nail polish.
(I'm even wearing it on my nicely manicured toes.)
I wonder what that will look like on day seven....hmmm

So the other riders seem cool.
I'm sure I will meet a lot more of them.
It's hard to see some with amputations and scars from war.
It's also hard to hear their storries.
It reminds me of my own traumatic experiences with the dead and dying.
It's hard to hear, and it's hard to remember the atrocities of war.
Pray for our troops.
And those who have served.
They have sacrificed a lot.


OH My Goodness! What have I gotten myself into

No comments:

Post a Comment